Thursday, March 5, 2009

What's up Wednesday (better late than never)

So I decided to add just a bit more to the structure of my blog. On Fridays I (usually) post a "Friday Five" and on Sundays I usually post a "Sunday Night Mind Purge", so I decided that Wednesdays would become "What's Up Wednesday" - a weekly blog post where I give you an update on what's going on with the upcoming Del Sol Church Northeast Campus launch.

I know what you're thinking: "But Ariel, today is Thursday!"

Yes I know. I didn't have a chance to post an update yesterday, so I'm doing it today. It's my blog, I can do that if I want to. =)

So here's an update on the Northeast campus:

// Our launch date for weekly worship celebrations is Sunday, September 13th; before then we'll have preview services in June, July, and in August. Our first meeting as a launch team will be next Wednesday, March 11th.

// Our first choice for a meeting location is Nolan Richardson Middle School, which is in the North Hills area of the far Northeast. Our second choice is Dr. Nixon Elementary School. Even though our first choice is Richardson, the people at Nixon seem to be bending over backwards for us, so I wonder if God's doing something there. I've got an appointment to meet with the principal of Nixon on Tuesday morning.

// Last Wednesday (the 4th), the El Paso Baptist Association's church planting committee met and approved a recommendation to help fund our campus. On Monday the 9th,
we hosted the EPBA's Executive Board meeting at the DSC East campus and I was introduced as the NE campus pastor.

// After the Exec. Board Meeting on Monday night, I had several pastors from the Northeast come up and encourage me about the work we're doing. That's good because I was concerned that there might be some territorialism, but it seems like we have at least 3 pastors with us now. Praise God for that!

// You should also know that the staff and church council here at the East campus is learning with us about what it means to be a multi-site church and though they have many questions (which is understandable and very good), they're on board and fully supporting our work. After all, we're one church but we just happen to meet in 2 locations, right? =)

Here are some ways you can pray for the Northeast campus this week:

1. Pray for my meeting with the principal at Nixon Elementary on Tuesday morning and m
ore than anything, pray that God will show us where to meet and give us favor and open doors with the school administration and school district officials.

2. Pray for me as I'm meeting today with some people from the local and statewide Baptist conventions to talk about their financial support for our campus.

3. Pray for me as I seek to meet with more pastors to let them know what we're doing and see how we might be able to partner with other churches out in the Northeast.

4. Pray for God to bring to our team a Kids' Ministry Director. We don't want just someone who likes kids, but someone who is called to kids' ministry so please pray for this urgent need.

So clearly, God is doing some great things as far as the NE campus is concerned and even though we have so much more to think through and prepare for, I just wanted to give you an update on what's going on and invite you to celebrate with me how God is paving the way for our launch this fall.

To God be the glory!

No comments: