Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Tuesday Two

So today, two things happened that reminded me of some very important truths. They weren't earth-shattering epiphanies or brand new revelations, but simple events that reminded of me two profound truths.

First, I've had a very discouraging day today. I mean, it was just a very sad, melancholy, disheartening day for me. Someone picked up on it and asked me what was going on, so I shared with them and they did a wonderful job listening and sharing Biblical advice and let me know they'd be praying for me. I really appreciated that they noticed I was troubled and that they took to the time to talk to me and let me know they'd pray for me. And I know this person will. But the thing is (and this is NOTHING against them), I needed to be prayed over right there on spot.

That got me thinking about all the times I've talked with people who were hurting or troubled and I listened, but didn't pray for them in their moment of distress. I mean, I've been trying to be more caring and pray for people in the moment, but I know that more often than not I've just said I would pray for someone (and really would), but didn't pray for them on the spot. So what I experienced reminded me of the importance of not only lending a caring ear and words of encouragement, but also offering to pray for someone immediately, on the spot - and then praying for them if they let you.

The second lesson came tonight. I went through the rest of the day still pretty discouraged, so I decided to go for a drive and run an errand I needed to get done. The errand was to get a birthday gift for a friend whose birthday is today. As I was driving, I felt so bad but when I got to the store and focused on finding the gift for my friend, I found that I totally forgot my troubles and how sad I was and became happy and excited about how happy and excited my friend will about the gift.

So two simple things happened today that reminded me of two profound truths: pray for someone on the spot if they will allow you, and do something for someone else to encourage yourself out of a self-centered rut.



"Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves." - Ephesians 4:32

No comments: