Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Surreal Nostalgia.

Tonight I went to visit Lesli Moser down at William Beaumont Army Medical Center, which was pretty cool because right after I got there, the nurse went in to take some stats and Lesli's numbers were really good.

Keep praying for her and the rest of the Moser family.

So after that I hit the streets looking for some food because it was about 7:30 pm and I hadn't eaten dinner yet. As I was driving down Piedras, I noticed a grocery store - the Quality Food Mart:

Photobucket

This is the store that my Grandpa and Grandma Martinez used to shop at because it's within walking distance of where they used to live.

I decided to go into the store just to see what it was like, and it was crazy - it was like walking back in time into the 60's or something. Check out those sweet vintage aisle signs:

Photobucket


It was weird, kind of surreal actually, walking down the aisles of the grocery store that my grandparents used to walk down when they was still alive. Since I was so close to their house, I decided to drive down and see it. Gosh, it was so sad to see what disrepair it had fallen into after my Grandpa Martinez died in 1996.

So today I went from being in the hospital that my Grandpa Holguin was in before they sent him home to die, on the same floor he was in, in the same room he was in (I'm like 99 percent sure it was the same room), to being in the same grocery store that my Grandpa Martinez used to walk.

What a surreal, nostalgic evening. It made me miss my Grandpa Martinez quite a bit.

No comments: