Saturday, November 8, 2008

So it's safe to say I'll never be a drug addict ...

... because I'm terrified of needles.

I went to the doctor on Wednesday because I've been having some health issues for awhile now, and he's having some tests run on my blood to check me out for a few things. So today, I had to get up early to go have some blood drawn for some blood tests.

I got to the lab, filled out the paperwork, and the technician took me back into the room to draw my blood. I think his name tag said Dracula and I'm pretty sure I overheard him say "I vant your blood!"

Anyway ...he had me sign another form in that vampire room and left to go make a copy of that form. While he was gone, I started panicking a little bit because I'm terrified of needles. My breathing got heavy, my heart started beating fast, and I felt faint. I really thought I was going to pass out, but I just kept taking deep breaths and asking God to help me through this.

Did I mention I'm terrified of needles?

So he came back in, wiped my arm with alcohol, and very gently put the needle in my arm. All I could do was turn my head the other way and keep praying and breathing. I honestly thought I might pass out with a needle on my arm. Even right now as I type this I'm feeling woozy as I remember my experience this morning.

In the end, I survived! And I'm really glad that God cares about big things and little things. I'm glad He cares about orphans in Africa and me here in El Paso, Texas, having to get some blood drawn. It's great to know that even stupid petty things like a fear of needles don't escape His care and His love.

My arm's been sore all day and I'm waiting for the results of my blood tests, but I know that if God is caring for me in the little things like getting blood drawn, I'm confident He's caring for me in the big things like health issues which that blood might reveal.



"Then Jesus said to his disciples: "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. Life is more than food, and the body more than clothes. Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds!" - Luke 12:22-24

No comments: