Sunday, January 18, 2009

Sunday night mind purge

- What a long day Monday was! Another one of those days sitting at my desk for hours at a time, talking on the phone, reading articles and books, etc. Thank God for Wayside though! See, on Mondays I volunteer at Wayside Teen Center during the lunch hour, and that was my salvation on Monday. Don't get me wrong, I love what I do and it's great to learn - but it's so mentally taxing and it was great to have a break at lunchtime.

- Tuesday: another mental work day, but this one was with our weekly staff meeting in the middle of it. On Tuesday I wrote my message for Sunday, ordered some invite cards for Walter's upcoming message series, and started reading The Volunteer Revolution by Bill Hybels.

- It's funny ...I don't remember what I did either of those evenings. I wouldn't even remember what I did if it weren't for my day planner that I write my daily schedule down in.

- Oh wait, now I remember ...kind of. On Tuesday I went to Walmart and Albertsons to get some groceries, and I talked with Candi Pryor on Tuesday night while I was at Albertsons.

- On Wednesday, I was at the office all day - and I mean all day reading, studying, writing, and emailing. I left at 4:30 pm for about 15 minutes just to go down to Collectible's and get this sweet 2009 calendar that features the architectural works of Henry Trost in El Paso. In case you didn't know, I really appreciate old architecture.

- After I got back, a bunch of people helped Troy and I set everything back up at the Firehouse since the floors were finally dry enough to move stuff on. I hadn't seen the refinished floors, and only one word can properly describe them: SHINY! I can't believe how shiny they are! It looks SO good in there right now while the floors are still all shiny.

- Thursday was yet again a day of being at the church office all day. In case you haven't figure out the pattern yet, I spent a lot of time at the office studying and researching in preparation for launching our Northeast campus. On Thursday night, the Mix resumed at the Firehouse and it was great to see Stephen giving the message for the night. Sure there were some things to work on, but all in all he did a really great job. I'm very proud of him!

- Friday. My day off. Much needed mental day off. =)

- Saturday was an extra day to sleep in because I didn't have anything pressing to do. I ran some errands, watched a movie at home, then went to Abundant for the 3rd part of "For This Cause." It was definitely a great worship experience.

- Today Troy preached at the main worship celebration service so I had the privilege of preaching in our youth gatherings. I was waiting all week to say "if you don't agree with the mission of our church, then get the hell out of here" ("hell" being anything that would make us more concerned about ourselves than about the lost). After that I went to lunch with the MacKays. Let me just say I am so glad to have friends like them!

- Then I went to the Northeast and drove around for about 3 hours through the neighborhoods, just praying and thinking and dreaming and visioning and praying. I didn't realize how big the Northeast is! It is so spread out and all I could think and pray as I drove around was "God, how can we ever reach all these people?!?" And I realized that we can't. Only He can. And that was such a sobering and surreal, yet awesome thought.

No comments: