Sunday, June 14, 2009

Sunday night mind purge

- Monday was an interesting day; actually this whole week was interesting and different. On Monday I went early to EP Fitness and got in a workout, then went to the office for awhile, and then went to Wayside for lunchtime - the last time volunteering at lunch for the school year since school got out on Tuesday. It was fun but kind of sad at the same time. After that I had lunch with my parents and brother who was in town from Phoenix, dropped by City Hall to get some maps, then went to work at the Bagel Shop for awhile, then went to Starbucks and studied for awhile - mostly getting ready for preaching in July.

- I spent most of Tuesday at the office, in staff meeting, working on some projects, and getting ready for my first GrowGroup meeting that night. In the evening I led a GrowGroup, hosted by some friends of mine at their home in our target area for the NE campus. Including myself, we had 4 people and we also had some technical difficulties with the curriculum DVD, but I figured out how to remedy that for this week.

- Wednesday morning was the graduation for Hanks High School. It was great to see so many youth I've known for years finally walk across that stage and receive their diplomas. Afterwards I went to lunch with a graduate and their family, then went to the office and worked all afternoon, with a meeting that night.

- On Thursday, Eastwood's graduation was in the morning and afterwards I went to lunch with the Loya family to celebrate Briana's graduation. Afterwards I was so tired that I ended up taking the rest of the day off.

- Now that I'm not in youth ministry anymore and am not getting to know more youth, I don't think I'll be going to any graduations for a couple of years. This graduation season was kind of like another hit with the reality that I'm not doing youth ministry anymore.

- Friday was my day off, and it was a blessed time of just resting, running a couple of errands, watching a movie, and just being refreshed.

- Saturday was an interesting day; I woke up really early and met with some other guys from Del Sol East and we went to work with a couple of other churches to help re-roof a building owned by Paseo Christian Church that's being transformed into a community center. We were out in the sun working from 8 am 'til 2 pm, and though it was tiring and very dirty, it was so great to get our hands dirty, get cut up and bruised, and work our muscles 'til we were sore - all knowing that someday that building would be used to make a difference for the Kingdom of God.

- I'll tell you what - as we picked up old roofing, swept up nails, hammered plywood into place, and did all the things we did - it was so worth it knowing that every nail we swept, every nail hammered into plywood, every shingle we ripped off would someday make a difference in someone's eternity. That's about the most fulfilling feeling you could ever experience.

- On Saturday night I went to a surprise graduation party for one of our youth and it was such a blessing to be a part of that and celebrate her in that way. I was honored to be asked to pray over the meal and over the party.

- This morning I went to 3 different churches: Beth El Bible Church to see my friends lead worship, then as I was driving back I saw a sign that said a church called The Rock Church met at Eastwood High School, so I dropped in there for about half an hour, then went to Del Sol East's second worship celebration at 11 am. After that I went to lunch with the Pryors and with my parents, then came home, took a nap, went to SuperCuts to get a trim, then had dinner with a couple of my staff members that are starting on July 1st to go through the Del Sol Church employee manual.

- All in all, it's been a REALLY great week. Like Relient K says: it's funny how you find you enjoy your life when you're happy to be alive.

No comments: