Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Del Sol Northeast campus update

Here's the latest update on the Northeast campus:

- For a couple of months now, I’ve had a couple of people committed to join our NE campus staff as worship and GrowGroups/outreach directors, but I’ve had a very difficult time finding a kids ministry director. I’ve met with some great people who were very excited about the work in the NE, but for whatever reasons just could not commit. So I took some time off from searching for a kids' ministry director to regroup and re-gather my thoughts, and in my last update I mentioned that a few weeks ago I approached someone else about this position.
This person I’ve approached has been praying a lot about it, has talked with her family about it, and has had several conversations with me about it. I’m getting a sense that she might be leaning towards accepting the position, which is exciting because she’d be a great fit for our staff team, but I really appreciate that she’s not rushing into it and is thinking it through and considering all the ramifications it will have.

- I’ve been investing a lot of my time lately in the Northeast. Thanks to the wonders of technology and wireless internet access, I’m able to go to The Bagel Shop on Transmountain and have lunch there, work, and start to get to know people there. I also spend time at Starbucks over there, though I can’t do too much work besides reading because they don’t have free wifi. So I’ve been investing time in the NE with the intention of being a presence there and getting to know people there – but I haven’t been too successful at that lately.

It’s not that I haven’t tried; it’s just that there haven’t been any natural segues into any sort of meaningful conversation. That had been frustrating me so I had been praying for open doors of opportunity, and on Monday I had conversations with three different people, two of which were pretty significant. I’m excited about that because as I foster these new relationships, in time and with love I’ll be able to speak the Gospel into their lives and hopefully see them come to know the Lord in a personal way.

- Another thing I had been frustrated about was the fact that I had been planning to lead a GrowGroup in the NE this summer, but had only one other person committed to the group. Again I prayed about it and on Sunday there was a couple that signed up to be part of the group, and as I’ve called some more people this week, I’ve had 5 other people say they’ll be part of the group, so it looks like we’ll have a good showing for group, which starts next Tuesday evening. Because I’ll be leading this group every Tuesday, I’m going to change our launch team meetings for the summer from meeting every Wednesday to meeting every other Wednesday night.


Here's how you can pray this week:

1. Pray for the person I’ve been in conversation with about becoming our kids’ ministry director. Ask the Lord to show her what the next step He has for her is – whether it’s to stay in her current career or to join us as the NE campus’ kids ministry director. Ask Him to give her wisdom and peace about what to do.

2. I’ll be meeting with Walter tomorrow afternoon to update him on where we’re at with the NE campus and to talk about some pretty important things, like hiring staff, starting the process to secure our location and sign contracts, and about the idea of purchasing the trailer I wrote about in my last update.

3. Keep praying for open doors and opportunities to meet people in the Northeast and begin conversations that would lead to talking about the Gospel in a compelling yet non-confrontational way. Pray also for more opportunities to cast the vision for the NE campus with more people from Del Sol and for God to raise up more volunteers as we prepare to launch the NE campus.


Thanks for your prayers - I truly believe they make a big difference.

No comments: