Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Something I've been thinking about lately.

Ben Arment recently said: "At the end of the day, our biggest frustrations with the church can be seen right in the mirror."

How true. Every now and then, I get frustrated with the way things are going at Del Sol Church, or in Fire Youth Ministry. I think "If only we did things this way ..." or "Why isn't this working like it should?" or "Why do we have to put so much work in to get such little in return?" and I'm constantly thinking about how we can do things better or how we can be better at whatever we do - an at the end of the day I have to remember that the buck stops here, with me.

If we're lacking in a certain area, I have to take responsibility and admit that I've dropped the ball. If things aren't the way they should be, others may be indirectly responsible but as a staff member, I have to be the one to take the blame.

The church will never rise above the level of us staff members. If on a scale of 1 to 10, I'm at a 7 in my spiritual maturity, most of those I lead will reach level 4 or 5 - maybe even 6 - but the law of the lid says that nobody will reach a 7 or 8 until I get there myself.

So while ultimately it's Christ who grows His Church, as one of the leaders He has entrusted His Church to, I must take responsibility, look in the mirror, and be constantly growing - or else those under me won't be growing.

What a big responsibility, and an even bigger privilege!



"I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength, that he considered me faithful, appointing me to his service." - 1 Timothy 1:12

No comments: