Friday, May 22, 2009

Friday Five - What I'm grateful for right now

Today's Friday Five ...five things I'm grateful for right now:

1. Being alive. Seriously. When I went to bed last night, I had no guarantee I'd wake up this morning; when I woke up this morning, I had no guarantee of living through as much of the day as I have; right now I have no guarantee that I'll live long enough to finish typing this post (though I sure hope I do!).

I remember when I was involved in a really bad car crash almost 7 years ago; I was hit, the airbag exploded, and for a moment, I thought I was dead. Thank God, I'm alive - even though it left me with permanent neck and back damage.

Or even just a few week ago - things could've gone very differently when I fell off my roof: I could've landed on my head and died, or been paralyzed, or at the least, I could've broken some bones. God has been so gracious to me, and I'm so very grateful to be alive.

2. Having a job. There are so many people in our city and in our country without jobs, and many more without job security, so I'm very grateful to have a job that I thoroughly enjoy, that seems to be pretty secure, and with great coworkers.

3. What God Says (aka The Bible). God's Word is simply amazing! It convicts, it rebukes, it encourages, it uplifts, it gives guidance, it provides wisdom, it corrects, it's so incredibly relevant for every single thing we'll encounter in our daily lives. It's amazing ...really, really amazing. It's such an incredible book; read more about it in my post from yesterday, then grab a Bible and read it for yourself.

4. Having food. I just ate a sandwich full of meat, with a pickle and some wheat thins on the side. Earlier today I had a good lunch. Last night I had a great dinner, and I had lunch yesterday, and even breakfast in the morning. So in the last 48 hours, I've had 5 full, pretty well rounded meals. Even in America, that's a luxury for a lot of people.

Sure, there are kids over in Africa or in Latin America who are starving and haven't eaten in days ...but that also happens here in America, even here in El Paso county! So when I pray before I eat and I thank God for my food, it's not just a token expression of gratitude - I really am so grateful to have something to eat.

5. Being loved. This one is perhaps the craziest thing to me: I am loved. Seriously loved. By a LOT of people. By some who society would dub really "cool" and by some who would be deemed "not cool". I'm loved, and I don't deserve it, and I'm extremely grateful for everyone - both family and friends - who loves me.



What are you grateful for?

No comments: