Monday, February 16, 2009

The hope of theology.

Lately I've been really craving some theology. Well, I've been craving to learn more about theology. I know theology can be dangerous because some people use for wrong reasons, like manipulating God's Word or focusing on knowing theology instead of focusing on knowing Jesus.

Yet I still love theology (which is the scientific, systematic study of God) because I'm a systematic thinker. When I get into the different divisions of theology like Bibliology, Pneumatology, Soteriology, Hamartiology, Anthropology, Ecclesiology, Eschatology, etc., I feel closer to God. It's amazing how my mind will soak up the details and intricacies of theology and translate it into a heart yearning more and more for God.

Not that I could ever comprehend God, but it's like the more I comprehend even a little bit of God and how He works, the more my love for Him grows.

Today I've been reading up on the Gospel and the wrath of God for Sunday morning. I've been reading up specifically on Christology (the study of Christ) and Hamartiology (the study of sin), and it has been so convicting and humbling and encouraging and hopeful, all at the same time.

I've been convicted of how my natural bent is to turn away from God in rebellion and put a break in my relationship with God, and how there is NOTHING I can do to bring reconciliation. But the encouraging and hopeful part is that Christ can and DID do something about it and because of His death, burial, resurrection, and ascension, I know my future is secure in Him.

I knew this morning that I would be studying what I have today but I didn't know how I would respond and how deeply all this would impact me.

So I think it's interesting that this morning in my time with God, I read Ezra chapter 10 and was really struck by Ezra 10:2, where Shecaniah said to Ezra "We have been unfaithful to our God ...but in spite of this, there is still hope ..."

Isn't that the message of the cross? It's the whole message of the Gospel - that we have been unfaithful to our God, but in spite of our unfaithfulness, there is still hope: Jesus Christ.





Wow! Thank You God. Thank You for theology. Thank You for Your Word. Thank You for sending Your Son Jesus to die for my rebellion against You. Thank You for raising Him from the dead. Thank You for sending Your Holy Spirit to live in me and to direct me to You. All I can say is thank You.

No comments: