Monday, July 21, 2008

Man it's been bugging me!

"When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, 'Simon son of John, do you truly love me more than these?'" - Jesus in John 21:15 NIV

I read this question a few weeks ago as I was finishing up reading through the book of John again. I have to tell you, this question has really been bugging me. I've seriously lost some sleep over this verse because it's made me think: do I truly love Jesus more than these?

"These" being anything in my life. Do I truly love Jesus more than I love myself? More than I love my local church? More than all my youth? More than my savings and retirement accounts? More than my car? More than my ipod? More than being in ministry? More than my eyesight? More than oxygen? More than being in control? More than being a pastor? More than the Church as a whole? More than the Bible? More than what Jesus can do for me?

Do I love Jesus Christ more than anything or anyone else on this terrestrial ball (aka "earth")?

Do I love Jesus for Jesus? Not because He saved me when He died on the cross, was buried, and got up from the dead 3 days later for me? Do I love Jesus not because He works all things out for good but just for Who He is? Do I love Jesus - period? Not "I love Jesus because", but simply "I love Jesus"?

"... do you truly love me more than these?"

Man that question bothers me!



Oh Lord Jesus, that You would help me to love You for You - not because of what You do, not because of what You give me, but just for You! Help me to love you more than these ...help me to love You so much more than anything else that might fight for my attention and for my love.

Please Help me to love You more than these.

No comments: