Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The cup.

Tonight we had First Wednesday, which is our Lord's Supper service we have about 9 or 10 times a year. It's a time for believers to come together, worship through music, giving, sitting under Biblical preaching, and taking part in the Lord's Supper together as a church family.

We usually take the two elements of the Lord's Supper, the cup and the bread, toward the end of our time together. This is the cup:
communion cup

It's just a little, disposable plastic cup filled with Welch's 100% grape juice - but it's symbolic of an incredible truth; it's symbolic of the blood of Christ which was spilled for you, for me, and for everyone else throughout history so that we imperfect people could have a personal relationship with perfect, Holy God.

It's a really incredible thing, what the Lord's Supper symbolizes.

Whenever I hold the cup in my hand, I always hold it under the light and over my hand, looking down through it and seeing my flesh under the redness of the fruit of the vine. I do that because it makes me think of how God the Father sees me - He sees me through the blood of Christ and because of Jesus' blood, I am clean and pure and holy.

He doesn't see my sin, He doesn't see my selfishness, He doesn't see my mess of a life, He doesn't see my shame, He doesn't see my screw ups - all He sees is the perfect blood of Jesus Christ.

And that's why I'm humbled to take part in the nearly two millennia old ordinance of the Lord's Supper, because of what it reminds me of and more importantly, of Who it reminds me of.



For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes. - 1 Corinthians 11:26

No comments: